National Committee on Dam Safety (NCDS)and its Sub-Committees:
The safety practices presently vary from State to State. In order to evolve a uniform simplified procedure based on the latest 'State-of-the Art' techniques, the Government of India constituted a Standing Committee in August 1982 to review the existing practices of inspection/ maintenance of dams and allied structures in various States and to evolve standard guidelines for the same. The Standing Committee was reconstituted with wider representation and focused and pin pointed mandate in October 1987 in the name of National Committee on Dam Safety (NCDS). Thereafter, the NCDS has been reconstituted in 1989, 1993, 1997, 2002 and 2015.NCDS acts as a forum for exchange of views on various issues pertaining to dam safety.
The National Committee, in consultation with the concerned State Government and the Ministry of Water Resources, may further set up sub-committees to monitor the safety aspect of selected inter-state dams. The sub-committee submits its report to the National Committee who after deliberations in NCDS will forward it to the Ministry of Water Resources for appropriate decision and communication to the concerned State Governments for the necessary follow up action.
So far, there exist three sub-committees consisting of members of NCDS. These are as under:
- NCDS Sub Committee for Parambikulam Aliyar System comprising of Members from Tamil Nadu, Kerala and CWC with member from Kerala as Member Secretary.
- NCDS Sub Committee for Mahanadi Basin comprising of Members from Madhya Pradesh, Odisha with member from Odisha as Member Secretary.
- NCDS Sub Committee for Subarnarekha Basin comprising of Members from West Bengal, Bihar and Odisha with member from Odisha as Member Secretary.
The sub-committee on Parambikulam Aliyar System was constituted in 1990 and reconstituted in 2000. Only two meetings have so far been held under the sub-committee. Last meeting was held in 1992.
The Sub Committee was constituted on Mahanadi Basin in 1990 and so far nine meetings of the Sub Committee have been conducted and ninth meetings was held in May 2017.
The Sub Committee was constituted on Subarnarekha Basin in 1990. So far, seven meetings of the Sub Committee have been conducted and seventh meeting was held in Jan 2016.
Composition(15 Oct 2015 onwards):
The Committee shall now consist of the following :-
|1||Chairmain, Central Water Commission||Chairman|
|2||Member (Design and Research), CWC||Vice Chairman|
|3||Director General, Geological Survey of India (or his representative)||Member|
|4||Director General, India Meteorological Department (or his representative)||Member|
|5||Member (Irrigation), Bhakra Beas Management Board, Chandigarh.|
|6||Chief Engineer and Director, GERI, Government of Gujarat|
|7||Chief Engineer (Central Designs) Irrigation Department, Government of Bihar, Patna|
|8||Chief Engineer, Dam Designs & Research, Irrigation Department, Government of Uttar Pradesh.|
|9||Engineer-in- Chief, Irrigation Department, Government of Andhara Pradesh.|
|10||Chief Engineer & Joint Secretary, Irrigation Department, Government of Maharashtra.|
|11||Chief Engineer, PIDO, Irrigation Department, Government of Kerela.|
|12||Chief Engineer (Irrigation), Government of Tamil Nadu.|
|13||Chief Engineer, Bureau of Designs, (BODHI), Government of Madhya Pradesh.|
|14||Chief Engineer, K.E.R.S., Government of Karnataka.|
|15||Chief Engineer (Designs), Irrigation Department, Government of Orissa.|
|16||Chief Engineer (Design & Research) I&W Department, Government of West Bengal.|
|17||Chief Engineer cum Additional Secretary, Department of Irrigation, Rajasthan.|
|18||President, Indian Association of Hydrologists (or his representative).||Member|
|19||President, Indian Society of Engineering Geology (or his representative).||Member|
|20||General Manager, NHPC||Member|
|21||Chief Engineer (Civil), Kerala State Electricity Board, Thiruvananthapuram.|
|22||Chief Engineer-I (Civil), Damodar River Valley Corporation, Maithon.||Member|
|23||Commissioner (Pen Riv), MOWR / Jr. Commissioner (Project) MOWR.||Member|
|24||Chief Engineer (DSO), Central Water Commission||Member-Secretary|
|25||Chief Engineer (Design, Master Planning & Hydrology, Water Resources Department, Ranchi.|
|26||Chief Engineer, Mahanadi Reservoir Project, Water Resources Department, Raipur|
|27||Chief Engineer (North), Irrigation Department, Haldwani.|
|28||Chief Engineer, Kandi Area Development, Irrigation Works, Chandigarh.|
|29||Chief Engineer, Irrigation and CAD Department Central Design Organisation, Telangana|
|30||Chief Engineer, (Head of the authority), Director of Energy, Himachal Pradesh|
|31||Chief Engineer (Civil), Maintenance of Small Hydro, Meghalaya Power Generation Corporation Ltd (MePGCL) Meghalaya|
Terms of reference to the Committee
- NCDS works for devising Dam Safety Policies and regulations for maintaining best practices and standards of dam safety so as to prevent any dam safety related disasters.
- NCDS acts a forum for analysing and discussing distress condition in specified dams and appurtenant structures. Such exchange of views will evolve best techniques to be adopted for tackling the problem.
- The committee may evolve and suggest changes in the Planning, Specifications, Construction and Operation & Maintenance practices by analysing the causes of major historical dam incidents and dam failures.
- It acts as an advisory body to the Central Government on specific matters related to the dam safety as referred to it and also make recommendations to the Government in respect of dams located outside the territory of India.
- It may evolve methods and make recommendations for rehabilitation of old dams.
- NCDS takes note of the rehabilitation programmes funded by centre or external aid.
- NCDS may act as a fillip for the research activities by identifying the areas and arranging the funds for the same.
- NCDS may coordinate between agencies for operations of the reservoirs of cascading dams in coordinated manner.
- NCDS may be referred any other issue related to dam safety by the Central Government.
Minutes of the meetings can be downloaded from here Click Here